Friends and Family,
It’s amazing that it has only been a year, but a
great year at that. Last year, I was able to fly to San Diego, and then travel
6 hours south into Mexico as a Leader with the Red Rocks Youth group. As a part
of a crew of 23 high school students and leaders, I was able to help build a
house for a family that had virtual nothing when we first started. In 4 short
days we were able to give a family of four, who had been living in a small
motor home borrowed from another family member, a house and a place to call
their own.
Though my role was small, and I said very little to
the family I tried to let my hands and my hard work show my heart to this
family. I spent a majority of the build, measuring (twice of course), cutting,
organizing of many of the pieces of lumber that went into the frame of the house,
while helping to coordinate the construction of the outer walls, the interior
walls, and a kitchen counter that we were able to purchase with excess funds.
Apart
from building a house for a Family, we were able to visit the family, whom the
youth had built a house for the previous year. I got to see firsthand what the construction of
this house meant to the family. The father recounted a story, of how he was
going to lose the business that red rocks youth had help him start, and the
only thing that he wanted from his former partner was a cell phone. The cell
phone contained the pictures from that crew of students and leaders. I got to
see the impact these students had, and further I got to see the students react
to understanding how their service and love had made a difference in this man
and his Family’s Life.
As a group, we were able to attend a church
service. A few of the students had been chosen to give testimonies about what
God had been doing for them. I was also given the opportunity to deliver the
message. All I remember about the message was that it was about trusting God,
something that can be very difficult, in a world where we are taught to be
cautious of people, and perhaps of God. This opportunity, my second time
delivering a message ever, solidified the desire to one day become a youth
pastor.
With all of these moments, I still know that my
favorite parts of the trip were the moments where I was able to spend time
working with and hanging out with the students on the trip. I believe that this
was greatest part of this trip for me; I was able to help these students build
a house, serve alongside them, and I was able to see these students have their
hearts transformed by God over the course of a week.
Check out
this link for a video recapping last year’s trip: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=447469438618841
I have once again been given the opportunity to
serve with the students of Red Rocks Youth on this year’s Mexico Missions Trip.
I will be a part of a group of 60 students and leaders who will build not one,
but two houses for two families, over the course of one week from July 22nd
to July 28th. We will be given the opportunity to visit the family we served
last year, and to once again participate in a worship service, and minister to
the local congregation.
I
hope that you would consider supporting me and the youth group this year as we
prepare for the missions trip. Please begin praying for the safety of our group,
and that our entire group is given the financial support that we require.
Please pray for the hearts of the families, and church members that we will
serve and minister t, and please pray that God would strengthen us and fill our
hearts with compassion and love.
Due to the cost of the trip, $1,200.00 per
person, I would also like to ask that you would prayerfully consider supporting
the youth group, and I financially, by donating to the mission’s trip. I know
that if it weren't for the support of my friends last year, I would not have
been able to serve and to learn as much as this trip had allowed.
Thank you for your valuable time and for your
support in this opportunity. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
With love,
Nathan Skinner
If you would like to financially support myself and Red Rocks Youth on
this mission trip here are two ways to
donate:
1. You
can write a Check
a.
Please make the check out to Red Rocks Youth
b.
And Send the Check to the following
Address
Red
Rocks Church
ATTN:
Youth
18301
W. Colfax Ave.
Golden,
CO 80401
c.
P.S.
Please make sure write Nathan Skinner in the memo field of your check
2. You can donate online via Credit Card or PayPal
b.
Click the
PayPal Donate link next to Nate S, or Any Leader.
Thank you so much for your support!
- Nate Skinner



No comments:
Post a Comment