Saturday, August 4, 2012

There are Two of Me?

When I was in Mexico something bothered me, a member of the leadership team had become distant and not so subtly had started ignoring me. It felt that whenever I would approach there was a mood change and a shift in their demeanor. I had no idea what I had done, but this person treated me as if I were criminal.

To this point I was unsure of why I would ever deserve the cold shoulder and be treated more as a student rather than a leader, their age. It was eating away at me and frankly was starting to really bring me into an anger I needed to rid myself of. I hated being angry for no reason and more I hated being treated as such without understanding why, so I approached this leader and apologized.

I said I didn’t know what I had done, but in some way I had offended them. I asked for forgiveness, because I didn’t appreciate the way I was being treated. I didn’t truly appreciate what felt like condemnation. The leader said a few things to me. “Nate I just don’t quite get you.”

“At one moment you have this ‘holy’ demeanor and the next you are so mean, and I just don’t know how to feel about you.” And the leader walked away. There was more said but the context is, that for any of you that know me, I am sarcastic, and over the top sometimes. I also tend to get very intense, and will set standards for the people around me that they almost never meet, which leads me to frustration, short words, and an even stiffer more serious demeanor.

Not trying to justify my behavior, sound defensive, or present myself higher than perceived I let the leader walk away, and I stood there contemplating their words. “Am I faking God in my life?” Do I pretend to have it all together and yet am so disrespectful at the same time?

I don’t think I ever pretend about God, and what he is doing in my life; frankly, it is hard for me to talk about sometimes. I’m in constant fear of appearing arrogant, or like a know-it-all when I talk about the victories I’ve had in Christ. I hate boasting in victory, and in actuality when others do it, it rubs me the wrong way. With God however, I guess at times without that being my intention or heart it can be perceived as such. I take few things in life as seriously as I take my relationship with Christ. I Love God. I try to shine for God, I try.

But as much as I shine, there is this thing called sin. When I let sin creep in, sarcastic comments roll from the tongue, and I fail to keep my anger in check. The shift from Christ-like to Mean is so quick that to an outsider I guess it would appear as though I’m just pretending. I hate that I am like this. I hate that sin in my life, that my sin, whether in thought, word, or deed can pull me out of the presence of God but more so that others see that. I say that not because I want to appear holy all the time, but how does that show Christ?

I believe that for all Christians we all appear Christ-like at times, and in other moments far from it.

I know that from this week, I am two very different people at times. There are moments, which seem brief these days, where I feel free from sin and the chains of this world. I feel free in Christ and I have this confidence I don’t usually feel. I’m full of energy, hope, joy, and peace. Then there are those moments, which seem to be so many, where the opposite is true. I feel bound to sin, and broken at the hand of the world. I’m devastated, depressed, angry, anxious, and I feel condemned, mainly from myself.

I guess the lesson for me here is that even in my growth, even in the good times, even in the seasons of good things, because of my flesh I’m still at risk of sin, but I do not need to live in such.

However, “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1-4)

When the rain comes and I feel like everything around me is wet, sloppy and gross. However, Christ died for my freedom, and when I bring my eyes to Christ I see that the waters have cleansed, nourished, and refreshed. I think that it’s in the storms that we truly are washed from our sins. At least for me I see this being true, because it is in the rain storm, the pouring, that I look up to heaven and repent. It is in the storms where I focus more on God, and it is in those moments where I’m washed clean.

I don’t ever wish to have a holier than thou personality or attitude. I don’t want to assume the worst of people, and I don’t want to remain stuck in a phase where this is all I do. I want to live in the freedom Christ died for, and I want to walk in step with the Spirit.


"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery". – Galatians 5:1

"So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law." – Galatians 5:16-18

I’m not perfect. I never will be on this side of heaven. I do know that if I continue to pursue God all I need will be given unto me. I know that I will find freedom in relationship with Christ, and I know that I will continue to grow. 

As I grow my anger will be tempered, my sarcasm diminished, my thoughts cleaned and purified. I know that as I pursue Christ I will be made new, every day. If anything I have Jesus, and am so thankful for Him. For in Him and through Relationship with Him I find the freedom that I feel and possess right now. 

The hardest thing this week has been accepting God's love and grace. I know that I can never work for it, nor earn it, but accepting it has been hard. Today, I open my arms to the Heavenly Father, and say "I love you God. I love you Father! Thank You for Your love. Thank You for Your grace. Thank You!"

I choose to live in freedom today! 


my life, His Story
It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone. - Ephesians 1:11-12 MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment